Terms and Conditions
We hope you enjoy using the Correspondents of the World website (the site), whether you’re exploring stories from around the globe or looking to get involved yourself.
This site is operated by Stichting Correspondents of the World (we). Stichting Correspondents of the World is a non-profit registered at the Dutch Chambers of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel) under KVK number 82491534. We are currently in the process of being registered as a charity (ANBI status) as well. Stichting Correspondents of the World’s postal address is
Stichting Correspondents of the World
1078 HE Amsterdam
- By using the site, you confirm that you accept these terms and conditions and that you agree to comply with them. If you do not accept these terms and conditions, you must not use the site.
- Correspondents of the World may change these terms and conditions at any time by amending this page. Please check this page from time to time and take notice of any changes. Your continued use of the site constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions as modified.
- You agree to use the site only for lawful purposes, and in a manner which does not infringe the rights of any third party, or restrict or inhibit the use and enjoyment of the site by any third party.
Intellectual property rights
- Use of the site and its content does not transfer or otherwise grant to any user any right or interest in Correspondents of the World’s intellectual property rights or any intellectual property rights owned by a third party.
- Commercial use or publication of the content on the site is strictly prohibited without prior authorisation from Correspondents of the World. Nothing contained in these terms and conditions confers any licence to use any content on the site.
- Pages and especially stories from the site may be printed or copied for non-commercial use only. Our status as publisher and the status of any identified contributors as the authors of material on our site must always be acknowledged. You must not modify the content of any digital or printed copies of any material in any way without prior authorisation from Correspondents of the World.
- Some documents and photos have been published on the site with the permission of the relevant third party copyright owners. All rights are reserved on these documents and permission to copy them must be requested from the copyright owners (the sources are indicated within these documents/photographs).
Third party links and resources in the site
- Correspondents of the World takes no responsibility for the content of external Internet sites. Other websites that we link to are owned and operated by third parties and Correspondents of the World has no control over them. The fact that we include links to other websites does not mean that Correspondents of the World approves of or endorses any other third party website or the content of that website. We accept no liability for any statements, information, products or services that are published on or are accessible through any websites owned or operated by third parties.
Uploading content to the site
- If you upload any content to our site or use the site to make contact with other users, you must comply with these terms and conditions and, in particular, the content standards below. You warrant that any such contribution complies with these terms and conditions, and you indemnify us for any breach of that warranty (meaning that you must reimburse us for any costs we incur as a result of your breaching those standards).
- Any communication or material that you transmit to, or post on, any public area of the site including any data, questions, comments, suggestions, or the like, is, and will be treated as, non-confidential and non-proprietary information.
- We will not be responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any materials posted by you or any other user of our site.
- We have the right to remove any material or posting you make on our site if, in our opinion, such material does not comply with these terms and conditions.
- If you feel uncomfortable or concerned about any communication, please report this to us at [email protected] to let us know and we will take appropriate action.
- These content standards apply to any and all material which you communicate through or to our site (communications), and to any interactive services associated with it.
- Communications must:
- be accurate (where they state facts);
- be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and
- comply with applicable law in the Netherlands.
Communications must not:
- contain any material which is defamatory of any person;
- contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
- promote sexually explicit material;
- promote violence;
- promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person;
- be likely to deceive any person;
- be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- promote any illegal activity;
- be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity (other than as your registered user name) or affiliation with any person;
- give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or
- advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Accessing the site
- Access to the site is permitted on a temporary basis and we reserve the right to withdraw, suspend, discontinue or change all or any part of the site without notice. We will not be liable if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time for any period.
- You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site. You are also responsible for ensuring that all persons who access our site through your internet connection are aware of these terms and conditions, and that they comply with them.
- You may use the site only for lawful purposes. You may not use the site:
- in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- in any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- for the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way; or
- to transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam).
- You also agree:
- Not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of our site;
- any equipment or network on which our site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of our site; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
No reliance on information and limitation of liability
- Commentary and other materials posted on our site are not intended to amount to advice on which reliance should be placed; they are there for guidance purposes only.
- Correspondents of the World makes no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether explicitly or implied, that the content on the site is accurate, complete or up-to-date.
- Correspondents of the World will not be liable for any loss or damage including, without limitation, loss of profit, indirect, incidental or consequential loss, or any damages whatsoever arising from the use of, or in connection with such use or loss of use of, the site, whether in contract or tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable.
- We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a virus, distributed denial-of-service attack, or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of the site or to your downloading of any content on it, or on any website linked to it.
- This does not affect our liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, nor our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation, nor any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law.
- You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform in order to access the site. You should use your own virus protection software.
- You must not misuse the site by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to the site, the server on which the site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to the site.
Linking to our site
- You may link to our website or individual stories, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it, but you must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of the Netherlands. Any disputes shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of the Netherlands.
- If you have any comments or queries concerning our website, please email us at [email protected] or write to us at
Correspondents of the World
1078 HE Amsterdam
Second Version: April 21, 2021.
Changes since previous version: Addition of KVK number.
Global Issues Through Local Eyes
We are Correspondents of the World, an online platform where people from all over the world share their personal stories in relation to global development. We try to collect stories from people of all ages and genders, people with different social and religious backgrounds and people with all kinds of political opinions in order to get a fuller picture of what is going on behind the big news.
At Correspondents of the World we invite everyone to share their own story. This means we don't have professional writers or skilled interviewers. We believe that this approach offers a whole new perspective on topics we normally only read about in the news - if at all. If you would like to share your story, you can find more info here.
We acknowledge that the stories we collect will necessarily be biased. But so is news. Believing in the power of the narrative, our growing team of awesome editors helps correspondents to make sure that their story is strictly about their personal experience - and let that speak for itself.
At Correspondents of the World, we want to contribute to a better understanding of one another in a world that seems to get smaller by the day - but somehow neglects to bring people closer together as well. We think that one of the most frequent reasons for misunderstanding and unnecessarily heated debates is that we don't really understand how each of us is affected differently by global issues.
Our aim is to change that with every personal story we share.
We believe in quality over quantity. To give ourselves a focus, we started out to collect personal stories that relate to our correspondents' experiences with six different global topics. However, these topics were selected to increase the likelihood that the stories of different correspondents will cover the same issues and therefore illuminate these issues from different perspectives - and not to exclude any stories. If you have a personal story relating to a global issue that's not covered by our topics, please still reach out to us! We definitely have some blind spots and are happy to revise our focus and introduce new topics at any point in time.
Discussions about the environment often center on grim, impersonal figures. Among the numbers and warnings, it is easy to forget that all of these statistics actually also affect us - in very different ways. We believe that in order to understand the immensity of environmental topics and global climate change, we need the personal stories of our correspondents.
Gender is the assumption of a "normal". Unmet expectations of what is normal are a world-wide cause for violence. We hope that the stories of our correspondents will help us to better understand the effects of global developments related to gender and sexuality, and to reveal outdated concepts that have been reinforced for centuries.
Our correspondents write about migration because it is a deeply personal topic that is often dehumanized. People quickly become foreigners, refugees - a "they". But: we have always been migrating, and we always will. For millions of different reasons. By sharing personal stories about migration, we hope to re-humanize this global topic.
We want to support the demand for justice by spotlighting the personal stories of people who seek liberation in all its different forms. Our correspondents share their individual experiences in creating equality. We hope that for some this will be an encouragement to continue their own struggle against inequality and oppression - and for some an encouragement to get involved.
Education is the newest addition to our themes. We believe that education, not only formal but also informal, is one of the core aspects of just and equal society as well as social change. Our correspondents share their experiences and confrontations about educational inequalities, accessibility issues and influence of societal norms and structures.
2020 is a year different from others before - not least because of the Corona pandemic. The worldwide spread of a highly contagious virus is something that affects all of us in very different ways. To get a better picture of how the pandemic's plethora of explicit and implicit consequences influences our everyday life, we share lockdown stories from correspondents all over the world.
Although we started just over a year ago, Correspondents of the World has a quickly growing community of correspondents - and a dedicated team of editors, translators and country managers.
Correspondents of the World is as much a community as an online platform. Please feel free to contact us for whatever reason!